These muffins are seriously so good. You’ve heard that before, but these really are, I promise. I worked on perfecting this recipe for a while and once I did, ohhhhh mannn. There was no going back. They are fluffy but slightly crunchy on the outside with so much flavor. These will make your house smell amazing when baking and taste even better! I have had many friends and family members ask for the recipe through the years. Without further ado….lets get to cookin THE best muffins…ever!
First, gather your ingredients. Rather sloppily, if you’re anything like me.
Next, mash up your bananas in a medium bowl. I use a fork. Make sure they are ripe. the browner the better with baking! And mix in your baking soda. I know it sounds weird and unnecessary, but just do it! It does something to them and makes them frothier. Is that a word??
Now, melt your butter. Yes, a whole stick. I didn’t say this recipe was healthy. I just said it was delicious. You can always substitute with coconut oil if you’d like. Add the butter, vanilla, milk, sugar. and beaten egg. (Also the optional flaxseed meal.) It should look something like this.
Now, in a separate bowl, sift together your dry ingredients. Flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Sifting really does make a difference!Time to mix the dry ingredients with the wet. DO NOT OVERMIX! I still do all of this with a fork. Just stir until barely combined. (You will mix even more when adding the chocolate chips!)
This looks about right.
Now it’s time to stir in the best part…the chocolate chips! You can also add nuts, raisins, fruit, coconut, or anything your heart desires! Glorious!!!
Finally it’s time to bake these bad boys. Use an ice cream scooper to put the batter into muffin tins. A heavily greased muffin tin. You don’t want to leave any extra muffin sticking in your pan! Trust me, you will want it all in your belly.
Bake away!!!! Your house will be smelling so good. Don’t blame me if the neighbors show up.
Look at that! Let them cool for a bit or you WILL burn your tongue. Speaking from experience. Lots of experience.
THE chocolate chip banana muffins
(Yields about 12 muffins.)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt (I use kosher)
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed. or about 1 c
- 2/3 c granulated, white sugar
- 1/2 c salted, melted butter or 1 stick
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 c milk (of any kind. I use almond)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c ground flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl thoroughly with a fork. Add in baking soda and mix well until frothy.
- Melt butter completely and add into banana. Next, mix in sugar, milk, vanilla, egg, and flaxseed (if using).
- In another medium sized bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, salt. and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet and stir just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scooper or large spoon, evenly distribute batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
****Notes for food substitutions: GLUTEN FREE -swap out the flour for gluten free flour. DAIRY FREE- Use almond milk. Use coconut oil or vegetable oil in place of butter. EGG FREE- make flax egg. OTHER- Replace the white sugar with pure, maple syrup or honey for a healthier version.